IGDA Sacramento Newsletter: December 2015
We hope the holidays have been treating you well. As we get closer to the end of the year, there is much to reflect on and be grateful for. Our area developers/studios have made great strides locally and at events across the country. Whether it be at Sacramento Indie Arcade, PAX, GDC, IndieCade or the Playstation Experience, Sacramento is fortunate to have veteran experience and knowledge breathe life into our community. Just as important are the new game developers who we welcome with open arms. Your thirst to learn more and hunger to create new games is what fuels our Meetup group.
With that said, let's get on with December events!
California Capital’s Inaugural Business Marketplace (December 2015)
- Date: Friday, December 11th, 2015; 1 pm to 8 pm
- Location: CA Capital FDC; Sacramento, CA
- Meetup Info: Our community has been invited to be a part of this event. Do you have a game that you would like to show or one that is currently available in the marketplace? We highly encourage you to get registered!
- Event Link: http://www.meetup.com/gamedeveloper/events/226854806/
Progressive Game Jam #7 (2015-2016)
- Date: Saturday, December 19th, 2015; 11 am to 5 pm
- Location: Cafe Colonial; Sacramento, CA
- Meetup Info: This is our final game jam of the year. Gather your team and meet us at the cafe! (FAQ: Things To Know Before Attending the Progressive Game Jam http://www.meetup.com/gamedeveloper/messages/boards/thread/49062157)
- Event Link: http://www.meetup.com/gamedeveloper/events/226558600/
Special Event: 2016 Global Game Jam
- Date: Friday, January 29 thru Sunday, January 31st; overnight
- Location: Kemper Hall at UC Davis; Davis, CA
- Meetup Info: IGDA Sacramento has joined forces with the UC Davis Game Development Club to co-host the 2016 Global Game Jam.
- The Global Game Jam (GGJ) is the world's largest game jam event (game creation) taking place around the world at physical locations.
- Think of it as a hackathon focused on game development. It is the growth of an idea that in today’s heavily connected world, we could come together, be creative, share experiences and express ourselves in a multitude of ways using video games – it is very universal.
- Sponsorship opportunities are available.
- Event Link: http://www.meetup.com/gamedeveloper/events/226550686/
- Featured Indie Dev Spotlight: TableStar Games LLC
- TableStar Games specializes in creating board games and apps. This past summer, their iOS game Idle Outbreak was selected to compete in the Indie Prize at Casual Connect. Keep up to date with their developments by giving their Facebook page a 'Like'.
- PlaytoGather is a new startup company that was born last month at Startup Weekend Sacramento. This company wants to disrupt the “Hobby” Boardgame Industry (HBI) by allowing gamers to play with friends using the tablets & smart phones they already have as Peer-to-Peer connected devices. They will build a platform for developers and a marketplace for consumers. The founder, Brian Gardner, is looking to gain feedback from developers. Does this sound like a platform you would use? Do you want to further the conversation? Let us know and we will connect you with PlaytoGather.
- GDC 2016 IGDA Scholarships are now open! The IGDA Scholarships Program is open to all students and recent graduates studying to receive degrees in or related to game development including, but not limited to, business, game design, legal, audio production, art production, and programming from Bachelor’s degrees to PhD candidates. Applications due by December 15th.Apply: http://scholars.igda.org/how-to-apply/
Our goal is to provide quality events that will help each of you thrive. Although there is no cost to be a part of our Meetup group, there are benefits for professionals and students to become members of IGDA. Read more here: https://www.igda.org/?page=benefits. Did you know a portion of member dues are invested back to local chapters? Should you choose to become an official IGDA member, this will help us continue to host quality and diverse game development events.
As always, we want to know what YOU want to see in an upcoming IGDA Sacramento event! Let us know which past sessions you've liked, what you didn’t, what you want to learn and what events you’d like to see happen!
GAME ON, SACRAMENTO!
-IGDA Sacramento Board
Gabriel G. - Chairman, gabriel AT igdasacramento DOT org
Briana Aea - Vice Chair
P.S. Don't forget to check us out, follow, like and spread the Sacramento Game Dev love with our links below!